STITCHING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
On Wednesday I headed north on the A21 and went back to old and familiar territories.
Streatham in South West London to be exact.



The place that until a couple of months ago I had called home for 20 years.
I was returning to take part in one of the Crafty Pint evenings Gillian and I had organised before I headed out to the seaside.
Meet the craftivists, aka Megan and Sophie from Save the Children.
These fantastic young women are carrying on with the amazing #IMAPIECE campaign started by The Craftivist Collective earlier this year.



A heady evening of stitching, putting the world to rights, contemplation of the race against hunger campaign mixed with a bit of gossip, the trading of crafty ideas and the occasional glass of something cold. We made lots of jigsaw pieces, these are just some of them.





The exhibition of all 700 odd jigsaw pieces has been travelling the country raising awareness ahead of the G 8 summit.
We had a few examples of the beautiful work of fellow crafters displayed on the walls it inspire us. 
I fell in love with these two, sadly they didn't have a name on the back of them so I can't tell you who they were made by.





All the jigsaw pieces are being reunited this weekend for the G8 in Northern Ireland.
The girls have been busy helping organise displays and workshops for what sounded like a huge event to support the campaign.
Earlier in the year the boys and I spent a morning making jigsaw pieces. I feel very pleased to have a small piece of my work contributing to this and I'm sure every one else who was there on Wednesday evening felt the same.



We loved the evening and the huge enthusiasm Megan and Sophie brought to our gathering.
If you want to know more about the campaign you can find out about it here.
I find the idea that craft can be used to engage us with ideas that sometimes it is more comfortable to not think about fascinating.
I have mussed on world poverty much more this year than I have in any year since 1985.
In the past I would have signed an online petition or put some money in a collection box and then walked away and not thought much about it again.
I know from what the girls were telling us Save The Children have loved the response to this campaign and they are keen to keep the momentum going in the future, which I have to admit I find really rather exciting!
If you want to know more about the #IMAPIECE project then take a look at the Craftivist Collective site.
Love Nora xxx

Comments

  1. Wow! What a fabulous thing to do! Great work and congratulations to all of you. How are you finding the new place, Jane? Have you found any craftivists there yet? This post has made me think about losing a community when we move house... Of course you haven't 'lost' yours as this post illustrates ;) Hope all is good. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good thing to do - Jane! Go on like that .... and good luck with the new place --- it means also new neighbours and maybe friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts